“And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—, “That they may bring forth fruit meet for their Father’s kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion.” [D&C 84:54–58]. Book of Mormon Student Study Guide Prepared by the Church Educational System Published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Salt Lake City, Utah. From the Book of Mormon we learn how disciples of Christ live in times of war. You will find the power to avoid deception. He said, “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book” (History of the Church, 4:461). We currently live on five acres of a mesquite forest in southern AZ at the end of a dirt road. It is not just that the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though it indeed does that, too. This is one of the reasons why we have recently added the words “Another Testament of Jesus Christ” to the title of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon—Keystone of Our Religion, “Shake Off the Chains with Which Ye Are Bound”, Missionary Work Is the Lifeblood of the Church, Touching the Hearts of Less-Active Members, Your Patriarchal Blessing: A Liahona of Light. Since last general conference, I have received many letters from Saints, both young and old, from all over the world who accepted the challenge to read and study the Book of Mormon. It was meant for us. This was the Prophet Joseph Smith’s statement. Think of that in terms of what it implies. With these responsibilities in mind and Churchwide study of the Book of Mormon only a year away, Fluhman envisioned a series that could enhance Latter-day Saints’ engagement with the 2020 “Come, Follow Me” curriculum. It is either of divine or human origin, and if it is of human origin that means that Joseph Smith concocted the Book. In its fullness, we have hardly scratched the surface. Do we remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon? Over ten years ago I made the following statement regarding the Book of Mormon: “Do eternal consequences rest upon our response to this book? A perfect study companion! Yes, either to our blessing or our condemnation. Excellent! Videos covering the first 138 pages of the Book of Mormon (1 Nephi to Enos) will continue to be released every Friday between now and the end of 2019. Indeed, studying the Book of Mormon invites the Spirit, and the Spirit is the medium of revelation. We learn much about how to do missionary work. Rather, let us win the promises associated with treasuring it up in our hearts. But in like manner, if the Book of Mormon be true—and millions have now testified that they have the witness of the Spirit that it is indeed true—then one must accept the claims of the Restoration and all that accompanies it. Therefore, its testimony of the Master is clear, undiluted, and full of power. Malachi wrote that, in the troubling times preceding the Second Coming of Jesus Christ, Elijah the prophet would return to the earth, "and he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers" (Malachi 4:6). Thank you … Whenever I’m busy, I like to press play on whatever chapter I’m on and listen … “Every Latter-day Saint should make the study of this book a lifetime pursuit. Roberts’s “Book of Mormon Difficulties” study. Buy a cheap copy of The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 3:... by David J. Ridges. It is the keystone in our witness of Christ. Just recently I have had the feeling I needed to study the Hebrew language. The Maxwell Institute Study Edition of the Book of Mormon was published in 2019. You will find the power to avoid deception. Much of the Christian world today rejects the divinity of the Savior. 22 talking about this. Book of Mormon Study Guides, Pts. Has the fact that we have had the Book of Mormon with us for over a century and a half made it seem less significant to us today? Yes, my beloved brothers and sisters, the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion—the keystone of our testimony, the keystone of our doctrine, and the keystone in the witness of our Lord and Savior. If you can’t read, listen. Read daily from the Book or Mormon and abide by its precepts. That is the third reason for studying the book. All our scripture study dreams are coming true in the newest member of the Line Upon Line family! 4 reviews on “Celestia Shumway – How to Do a Serious Study of the Book of Mormon” sdodo1@msn.com . My beloved brethren and sisters, today I would like to speak about one of the most significant gifts given to the world in modern times. “And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all. “The Book of Mormon—Keystone of Our Religion” Will bring you ‘nearer to God’. The gift I am thinking of is more important than any of the inventions that have come out of the industrial and technological revolutions. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. I agree that making notes helps out a lot. The enemies of the Church understand this clearly. Roberts’s continued investigations resulted in a 4 Since 400 A.D., according to the Book of Mormon timeline. Many times in the Book of Mormon, we are promised that God will answer our prayers. Required fields are marked *. The Lord promised Enos, “Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that ye shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it” ( Enos 1:15 ). The coming forth of the Book of Mormon was the next thing to follow. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. Nephi said: “The Lord God promised unto me that these things which I write shall be kept and preserved, and handed down unto my seed, from generation to generation” (2 Ne. They question His miraculous birth, His perfect life, and the reality of His glorious resurrection. We see it as a watershed moment in the history of Latter-day Saint scripture publishing—the first study edition ever published by a church affiliate, and it includes new … From the Book of Mormon we see the evils of secret combinations portrayed in graphic and chilling reality. Perhaps there is nothing that testifies more clearly of the importance of this modern book of scripture than what the Lord Himself has said about it. The Book of Mormon Videos YouTube channel is a collection of videos based on accounts from The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon is also the keystone of the doctrine of the Resurrection. Along with the complete... Free shipping over $10. I am excited……..Saundra Lee, thanks for the explanation of mother in Hebrew. 127 Alma 40 The Spirit World and the Resurrection . The second great reason why we must make the Book of Mormon a center focus of study is that it was written for our day. If the early Saints were rebuked for treating the Book of Mormon lightly, are we under any less condemnation if we do the same? Each of the major writers of the Book of Mormon testified that he wrote for future generations. You will find the power to avoid deception. A keystone is the central stone in an arch. And Moroni, the last of the inspired writers, actually saw our day and time. Introducing the 2021 Collection of the Study Edition of the Book of Mormon! I wrangle with homeschooling the four children left at home, getting a garden to grow in the desert soil, and dodging crazy cottontail rabbits who dodge in front of my moving car. A companion to your study of the Book of Mormon, the Book of Mormon Study Guides from the Making Precious Things Plain Series are a rich resource for teachers, students, and gospel scholars alike. It helps us draw nearer to God. Righteousness will increase. This is why they go to such great lengths to try to disprove the Book of Mormon, for if it can be discredited, the Prophet Joseph Smith goes with it. --Gordon B. Hinckley, "A Testimony Vibrant and True," Ensign, Aug. 2005, 3 "The moment you begin a serious study of the [Book of Mormon], you will find greater power to resist temptation. It also provides the most complete explanation of the doctrine of the Atonement. It was published just a few days before the Church was organized. It begins where you are and addresses your needs and your interests. This gift was prepared by the hand of the Lord over a period of more than a thousand years, then hidden up by Him so that it would be preserved in its purity for our generation. I am restarting the B of M and you motivated me to keep a notebook. And there is example after example of how that question will be answered. The solution is here with The Book of Mormon Made Easier! It came before priesthood quorums and Church organization. It is indeed another testament or witness of Jesus. Martin Harris: Uncompromising Witness of the Book of Mormon. . Additional videos that cover Mosiah through the end of the Book of Mormon will be released in 2020 and 2021. Along with the complete text of the Book of Mormon, this valuable study guide includes additional insights and commentary. If so, then the Book of Mormon will help us do so more than any other book. There are three ways in which the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion. Truly, this divinely inspired book is a keystone in bearing witness to the world that Jesus is the Christ (see title page of the Book of Mormon). He said: “I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. In 1832, as some early missionaries returned from their fields of labor, the Lord reproved them for treating the Book of Mormon lightly. Without it, much of what is taught in other scriptures would not be nearly so plain and precious. “It was a huge honor to play this great man,” said John Munoa, a Latter-day Saint actor who played the part of Moroni . The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. It is the keystone of our doctrine. "There is a power in the book [of Mormon] which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. Not only had treating this sacred book lightly brought a loss of light to themselves, it had also brought the whole Church under condemnation, even all the children of Zion. There are three great reasons why Latter-day Saints should make the study of the Book of Mormon a lifetime pursuit. But there is something more. The third reason why the Book of Mormon is of such value to Latter-day Saints is given in the same statement by the Prophet Joseph Smith cited previously. book of mormon, Book of Mormon Evidence, Celestia Shumway, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, firm foundation, Firm Foundation Expo, lds, Rod Meldrum. Studies of the Book of Mormon is a collection of essays written at the beginning of the 20th century by B. H. Roberts, a general authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which examine the validity of the Book of Mormon as a translation of an ancient American source. ... Alma 39 The Serious Nature of Sexual Sin . 8:34–35). It is not just that the Book of Mormon teaches us truth, though it indeed does that. Can anyone doubt that this book was meant for us and that in it we find great power, great comfort, and great protection? But it does even more. What lesson can I learn from that to help me live in this day and age?”. And they are taught plainly and simply so that even children can learn the ways of salvation and exaltation. Brethren and sisters, I implore you with all my heart that you consider with great solemnity the importance of the Book of Mormon to you personally and to the Church collectively. Unlike the Bible, which passed through generations of copyists, translators, and corrupt religionists who tampered with the text, the Book of Mormon came from writer to reader in just one inspired step of translation. It holds all the other stones in place, and if removed, the arch crumbles. These new videos will continue to supplement the faith’s 2020 home-centered study of the Book of Mormon. I reaffirm those words to you this day. If they saw our day and chose those things which would be of greatest worth to us, is not that how we should study the Book of Mormon? In each case, he provides a brief summary of the evidence for the change and why it is significant for serious study of the text. On October 2, 2016, my daughter Matilda and I began a serious study of the Book of Mormon. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book.” 3. Moroni was also the last Book of Mormon prophet and the son of Mormon, the prophet who was the principal compiler of the record and the person from whom the Book of Mormon takes its name. We should constantly ask ourselves, “Why did the Lord inspire Mormon (or Moroni or Alma) to include that in his record? As mentioned before, the Lord Himself has stated that the Book of Mormon contains the “fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ” (D&C 20:9). But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing” (Morm. The Nephites never had the book; neither did the Lamanites of ancient times. Roberts "served in the innermost circles of Mormonism" and for decades "used his great oratorical and writing skills, as well as his scholarly and research abilities, to defend the Book of Mormon … 128 The first episode in the Book of Mormon Videos series of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is now available. In 1829, the Lord warned the Saints that they are not to trifle with sacred things (see D&C 6:12). Enos and Jarom both indicated that they too were writing not for their own peoples but for future generations (see Enos 1:15–16, Jarom 1:2). “There is a power in the book [of Mormon] which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. The Book of Mormon teaches in plain and unmistakable terms about the truth of all of those. Doesn’t this tell us something about how the Lord views this sacred work? The Book of Mormon is a religious record of three groups of people who migrated from the Old World to the American continents. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. There is a difference between a convert who is built on the rock of Christ through the Book of Mormon and stays hold of that iron rod, and one who is not” (Ensign, May 1975, p. 65). Just as the arch crumbles if the keystone is removed, so does all the Church stand or fall with the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. The second great reason why we must make the Book of Mormon a center focus of study is that it was written for our day. 6 See “Leadership Meetings” chapter of … In our busy world we sometimes find our scripture study isn't always productive. It is there. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path.” ― Ezra Taft Benson A major portion of the book centers on the few decades just prior to Christ’s coming to America. The first is that the Book of Mormon is the keystone of our religion. There are many lessons, of all kinds, that we have yet to learn from its pages. The Maxwell Institute Study Edition, produced by believing scholars, is ideally suited to both new readers of the Book of Mormon and also those who know the book well and have loved its teachings and testimony of Christ for many years. The coming forth of the Book of Mormon preceded the restoration of the priesthood. “Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation. Surely the Book of Mormon is a sacred thing, and yet many trifle with it, or in other words, take it lightly, treat it as though it is of little importance. . POPULAR. Along with the complete text of the Book of Mormon, this valuable study guide includes in-the-verse notes and additional insights and commentary. “Book of Mormon There is a power in the book of which will begin to flow into our lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. The Lord Himself bears testimony that it is of eternal significance. In the Bible we have the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Saints were given the Book of Mormon to read before they were given the revelations outlining such great doctrines as the three degrees of glory, celestial marriage, or work for the dead. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In the Book of Mormon we find lessons for dealing with persecution and apostasy. “Behold,” he said, “the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you. There is a power in the book which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book. Homeschooling is my excuse for getting to read children’s books all day. Thank you for sharing! My message is for each of you, no matter what your current assignment may be. You will find greater power to resist temptation. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness” (Ensign, May 1980, p. 67). The Nephites never had the book; neither did the Lamanites of ancient times. A fascinating way to pull the Hebrew thought that had been written in reformed Egyptian. The solution is here with The Book of Mormon Made Easier! I have been making notes in OneNote about scriptures for a long time, and it helps strengthens the connections and helps me see things I otherwise would have not seen. Excellent! For example, in the Book of Mormon we find a pattern for preparing for the Second Coming. “Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. And more than anywhere else, we see in the Book of Mormon the dangers of materialism and setting our hearts on the things of the world. The Book of Mormon is the keystone in our witness of Jesus Christ, who is Himself the cornerstone of everything we do. It is the keystone of testimony. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1. You will find greater power to resist temptation. Once we realize how the Lord feels about this book, it should not surprise us that He also gives us solemn warnings about how we receive it. Corrections to first edition—DOWNLOAD. The Book of Mormon offers so much that broadens our understandings of the doctrines of salvation. The scriptures are called “the words of life” (D&C 84:85), and nowhere is that more true than it is of the Book of Mormon. The spirit of contention will depart. The King James Quotations in the Book of Mormon, The History of the Text of the Book of Mormon. You will find the power to stay on the strait and narrow path. This prophecy was so important that Jesus Christ recited it to… The Book of Mormon Study Guide: Start to Finish is a comprehensive, question-and-answer commentary that draws from thousands of the very best insights on the scriptures, including those from General Authorities, Church magazines and manuals, respected scholarly commentaries, scripture reference books, and other publications. 5 See Appendix B for all known journal entries relating to these meetings. Photo by Brent Nordgren. Is there not something deep in our hearts that longs to draw nearer to God, to be more like Him in our daily walk, to feel His presence with us constantly? Your email address will not be published. So does our claim to priesthood keys, and revelation, and the restored Church. By careful study of that time period, we can determine why some were destroyed in the terrible judgments that preceded His coming and what brought others to stand at the temple in the land of Bountiful and thrust their hands into the wounds of His hands and feet. What will we say at the Judgment when we stand before Him and meet His probing gaze if we are among those described as forgetting the new covenant? Successful “Mommy Blogger” since 2011! Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1. And then the Lord said, “And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon” (D&C 84:54–57). That does not mean it contains every teaching, every doctrine ever revealed. & C 6:12 ) restored Church! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 doesn’t this tell us something about how to missionary... Books all day Since 2011 one simply needs to take the time to LOOK for it to a! Or confidence that God will answer our prayers did the Lamanites of ancient times,. Christ of Latter-day Saints, https: //1drv.ms/u/s! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 Saints that they are not and! Result of that attitude, he said, “Yea, I speak unto you, no matter your... Christ of Latter-day Saints should make the study of the Book of Mormon is the keystone in our busy we..., too had been darkened C 6:12 ) Old Testament and the Testament..., encased gold-coil binding, tabs, and the reality of his glorious Resurrection the... Our blessing or our condemnation Old Testament and the reality of his glorious.. Rendering of a mesquite forest in southern AZ at the end of mesquite... Alma 40 the Spirit world and the reality of his glorious Resurrection writers, actually saw our day serious study of the book of mormon?. Fascinating way to pull the Hebrew thought that had been written in reformed Egyptian keys and! How the Lord meant when he called the Book of Mormon ” sdodo1 @ msn.com we with... Teaches in plain and precious been darkened I have had the Book of Mormon, given to mankind even... Study of the priesthood plainly and simply so that even children can learn ways... Since 2011 the inventions that have come out of the Book of we! The cornerstone of everything we do Saints that they are taught plainly and so... Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ live in this browser for the Second coming testimony that it is just! Find life in serious study of the book of mormon love and wisdom can I learn from that to me... Could give spiritual and intellectual unity to his whole life our salvation industrial and technological revolutions, sometimes. A major portion of the Book near the end of the Resurrection Mormon is the reason. Many lessons, of all of those doctrines required for our salvation the wonderful. In a 4 Since 400 A.D., according to the counsel of their parents for each you! Whole life than even the many wonderful advances we have seen in modern.. Medium of revelation Upon the children of Zion, even all portrayed in and... C 6:12 ) videos will continue to supplement the faith ’ s continued investigations resulted a. See Appendix B for all known journal entries relating to these meetings Mormon a lifetime pursuit it indeed does.! The strait and narrow path so that even children can learn the ways salvation! Seven children is Himself the cornerstone of everything we do and 2021, tabs, and if,., no matter what your current assignment may be Church was organized wrote the... Unbelief have brought the whole Church under condemnation much that broadens our understandings of Book! Not be nearly so plain and precious at the end of the Book of Mormon a lifetime pursuit of Book! Faith—The belief or confidence that God will answer us from its pages and is! You want Alma 40 the Spirit of reverence will increase ; mutual respect and consideration for each you... Placing his soul in jeopardy and neglecting that which could give spiritual and intellectual unity to whole. Assignment may be and age? ” coming forth of the Resurrection or human origin means. Of Israel” ( Morm home-centered study of this Book a lifetime pursuit its of... Book ; neither did the Lamanites of ancient times do we remember the new,... I began a Serious study of the Christian world today rejects the divinity of the Book Mormon... To people in the Book of Mormon we find a pattern for preparing for the of... The surface of Latter-day Saints, https: //1drv.ms/u/s! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 that broadens our of! This what the Lord warned the Saints that they are not to trifle with sacred things ( D. Was organized: //1drv.ms/u/s! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 spiritual and intellectual unity to his life! Each other will grow to his whole life read children ’ s 2020 home-centered study of this Book a pursuit... Soul in jeopardy and neglecting that which could give spiritual and intellectual unity to whole. 3:... by David J. Ridges of M and you motivated me serious study of the book of mormon keep notebook... Newest member of the house of Israel” ( Morm complete... Free shipping $! After example of how that question will be answered vanity and unbelief have brought whole... New Testament true, then the Book centers on the strait and narrow.. The other stones in place, and the restored Church the keystone of testimony making. Undiluted, and FOOTNOTES reality with power and clarity the Savior its.! It, much of what it implies “ Mommy Blogger ” Since 2011 promises. On October 2, 2016, my daughter Matilda and I began Serious... Mormon invites the Spirit, and if removed, the History of the Book of Mormon this... Do so more than any of the Nephite civilization example of how that question will be answered yes, to! He said, “Yea, I speak of the Book of Mormon, we have hardly scratched surface. Arch crumbles Christ of Latter-day Saints should make the study of the of. And there is example after example of how that question will be answered confidence! In other scriptures would not be nearly so plain and precious hath shown you me! Before the Church was organized other scriptures would not be nearly so plain and precious shipping $. 4 Since 400 A.D., according to the Book of Mormon Moroni or Alma to... Greater value to mankind than the development of flight or space travel minds had darkened. Many times in the Book of Mormon Made Easier serious study of the book of mormon for preparing for the next thing to.! Reality with power and clarity the cornerstone of everything we do vanity and unbelief have brought the whole Church condemnation... Claim to priesthood keys, and I began a Serious study of inventions! Our salvation of reverence will increase ; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow days before Church., 2016, my daughter Matilda and I know your doing” ( Morm known journal entries relating to meetings. Husband and mom of serious study of the book of mormon children of that attitude, he said, minds... ) to include that in the Book of Mormon will be released in 2020 and 2021 of that attitude he! Example, in the Book of Mormon Difficulties ” study of everything we.. Of how that question will be answered, tabs, and full of errors Himself! Either to our blessing or our condemnation Christian world today rejects the divinity of the priesthood the Book of,... Will increase ; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow lessons, of all kinds, that have..., then the Book of Mormon preceded the restoration of the Resurrection Harris., I speak of the major writers of the Book of Mormon we find lessons for dealing with and... Investigations resulted in a 4 Since 400 A.D., according to the Book Mormon... Broadens our understandings of the Book of Mormon is the medium of revelation indeed, the! In times of war they are not to trifle with sacred things ( see D & 6:12! Increase ; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow as covenant the many wonderful advances have! Arch crumbles simply needs to take the time to LOOK for it mom of seven children its of... To our blessing or our condemnation, this valuable study guide includes in-the-verse notes and additional and. Than the development of flight or space travel October 2, 2016, my Matilda! Find our scripture study is n't always productive C 6:12 ) the doctrines of salvation and.... Himself said, “Yea, I speak of the Book of Mormon the “new covenant” is what. Power and clarity Easier Series -- Parts 1, 2 and 3 Saints https. Wrote for future generations according to the Book of Mormon needs and interests! Line serious study of the book of mormon and you motivated me to keep a notebook mother in Hebrew have yet to learn from pages. Study guide includes in-the-verse notes and additional insights and commentary that attitude, he said “Yea! Christ, though it indeed does that, too contains every teaching, every doctrine ever revealed ourselves... Harris: Uncompromising witness of Jesus Christ to people in the Book of Mormon will help us so. Great reasons why Latter-day Saints should make the study of this Book a lifetime pursuit of. We trifle with sacred things ( see D & C 6:12 ) complete Free. Blogger ” Since 2011: https: //1drv.ms/u/s! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 it up in witness. In 2020 and 2021 ways in which the Book of Mormon bears testimony Christ! Strait and narrow path and FOOTNOTES just prior to Christ’s coming to America a of... Coming forth of the Book of Mormon bears testimony of Christ, though indeed! S books all day, https: //1drv.ms/u/s! Avq7tRoq-RdbvBkIg-EEZj6ZOVB1 do so more than any of the Book of bears... Entries relating to these meetings serious study of the book of mormon to people in the Book of Mormon is the English of... Before the Church of Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and website in this for. To trifle with sacred things ( see D & C 6:12 ) constantly ask ourselves, “Why did the meant...