I’ve also got a Redington Butterstick in a 2wt for smaller streams that is also great. Boo. ml: god, chandler, you get so bitchy/prissy when someone makes a critical comment.you need thicker skin. It's the versatility, you're not giving up that much on the low end, but you gain when you have the chance to “open the throttle”; plus on the bigger water (relatively speaking) you can, in a pinch, muscle the occasional streamer or (heresy alert) wooly bugger. See you at knife fighting range... Near $500 for a rod that, when all's said and done, doesn't have to do very much? The perfect length at 7'6" for tight casting and small pools, our glass 3-wt. They actually have a little pop to them. I have to say even though there is a line weight difference , they feel worlds apart. I found I needed to fight off the butt more, leaving the tip straighter, and this gave me enough stiffness to thwart a runaway while still protecting the tippet. I wanted to clarify; I didn't like the gold color of the reel seat, but I loved the design of the thing. Fly fishermen know the Superfine Glass delivers all this and more. "Still, because I'm a benevolent rod snob," Oh, I am going to steal that from you, only use it as "A benevolent beer snob" LMAO! djohnson: not bitch at the writer about the price/vaule of the rod. I’m starting to really love Orvis the more I fish their rods (I’m partial to Winston, but Orvis is an incredibly close second) and I have yet to be disappointed by any Orvis rod. Or maybe I'm just a stream and creek junky. My best fishing buddy's wife is looking to buy him a high end rod for Christmas something that he would never buy himself. The reel seat is cork with delicate up-locking hardware and the grip is a half wells. Orvis Superfine Glass 3wt 7’6” | 25 Year Warranty - FREE SHIPPING. There’s already plenty of buzz surrounding Orvis and its launch of a new high-end rod line dubbed the “Helios 2.” Truth be told, I got a prototype 5-weight to play around with several weeks ago, and I noticed it had “The Second Coming” playfully inscribed just above the reel seat. The Pamlico Sound is separated from the Atlantic Ocean by the Outer Banks, a row of low, sandy barrier islands that include Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Cape Lookout National Seashore, and Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge. definately...upper end equipment. Classic precision dominates the unsanded graphite blank with matching graphite wraps of the Superfine Carbon. I don’t have much experience with shorter fiberglass rods but have played with a similar Echo glass rod before and it was pretty fun, not sure how the Orvis compares. The South Holston is one of the finest fisheries in the Appalachians. What's wrong with traditional nickel silver and a. wood spacer if you want a refined look? Designed for small to medium sized streams, this is the perfect dry fly rod for precision casting and full-flex fun. I am doubting, however, that you are an angler, much less with the, dry. To refresh the record, I fished this rod for a good nine months before writing the review, and more than paid for it by trading Orvis an ad placement (at any reasonable ad rate, they got the better of the deal). I'm surprised anyone reading this blog is surprised at the cost of a quality, handmade-in-America, fly rod. know if it's all that great a rod, but I have fun. Or is it simply time to stop squeezing the nickle so hard the buffalo craps in the Indian? I was very pleasantly surprised. Orvis Clearwater 4wt 11'4" Trout Spey Package, Skagit, Scandi, or Both We've put together the perfect package which requires a little decision making on your part to offer the best possible trout spey outfit to fit your casting style and tactics. Free shipping. I do have an older Orvis 7'9" 5 wt Superfine graphite rod, which is a nice rod, but I prefer the Superfine glass. The Superfine® Glass … We don't have any Orvis dealers where I am so no opportunity to test it out. https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gear_reviews/orvis-recon-10ft-3wt-review The Trout Underground remains one of fly fishing's most heavily trafficked blogs (with Google Search Results the envy of almost everyone else's), and believe me, if I was really interested in trading all that for free gear, I'd have an office full of the stuff. $429.00. I don’t have much experience with shorter fiberglass rods but have played with a similar Echo glass rod before and it was pretty fun, not sure how the Orvis compares. They were building glass rods that day because demand had far outstripped their projections. NJTB. Jonny: Near $500 for a rod that, when all's said and done, doesn't have to do very much? While larger glass rods for saltwater species exist, most anglers think of a 3wt or 4wt fly rod for trout when they hear the word 'fiberglass'. No. mi. I'm leaning towards the Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt paired with a battenkill. I think now I'm coming to understand the “why” in using the 4 or 5 wt rod on streams you. It’s a much faster rod but it just suited my style of casting better. On a lighter note I would love to see. Orvis lines can be broken down into 4 product lines: Clearwater, Access, Hydros, and Hydros HD. The Superfine Glass fly rod was voted the best fiberglass rod by Fly Fisherman magazine. river wends its way south and nears Asheville, it empties into the French Broad River. I find myself wondering just how the 8' 2wt might fare on the real small local streams, especially given the 20% off deal Orvis is offering... Having bought and fished the 7'6" 3wt a few times now....what an absolute hoot this rod is. I guess Tom, from now on….just state the price…and your readership can decide if its a good deal for them or not…..as to not rile the troops, as it were. Its action was very similar to my dearly departed Battenkill. I use the winston pure 8′ 4wt as my dry fly rod. I bought a Cabelas LSI 9' 3wt. I thought the review was an honest depiction and represented the readership details of a tools ability to get the job done......pure and simple. Up for bid is a Orvis Superfine 4wt 4pc in 7 foot length. Good move by Orvis. 662-3 6'6" 2wt 3pc 763-3 7'6" 3wt 3pc 764-3 7'6" 4wt 3pc 805-3 8' 5wt 3pc 866-3 8'6" 6wt 3pc 888-4 8'8" 8wt 4pc And for the past several months, this rod has been hitting the water with me everywhere I go. How about a small stream rod vs Upper Sac rod? 8'6", 4-piece fly rod for 3-wt. If you're a dry fly, underground sort of fellow, you'll understand. I want one. actioned -- they load up with very little line out. cane rods for the smaller waters. I was ticked off when they discontinued the latter, and ordered a new far-and-fine from thir custom shop the next year thinking they would never build them again. share. Swinging Partridge and Orange wet flies on the Swift River in Ware, MA.Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3wt. Hope you guys continue having fun out there. 87 . But you're right about one thing: I should know better than to engage in tittle tattle about an industry that is, to me, more parasite than friend to the sport of fly fishing. 12 comments. And if I can glean useful information about the gear I buy here while making my fishing plans, isn't THAT reason enough for all of us to check this site 5 or 6 times a day? for a 12" fish which will want to run you into downed timber... You get the picture. A quick loading presentation trout fly line when stealth and subtlety are key. Glass fly rods are historic and provide a feel that is difficult to match with any newer rod technology. I buy my rods there because it's a good deal and Craig Mathews puts his money where his mouth is--for real. Lately I’ve been thinking about finding a lighter dry fly summer rod for trout in the 12-16″ range to round out my collection. I will add this much....the, 7'6" 3wt feels nearly the exact same as the old "Brook Trout" Superfine, and almost begs to cast a 4wt DT. Last one. Your email address will not be published. Orvis Battenkill II with Orvis Hydros 4wt line. its art-deco architecture, performing arts and numerous music festivals, this mid-size city of about 84,000 has also become well known for its abundant trout fishing and is frequently referred to as the Trout Capital of the South. We don’t have any Orvis dealers where I am so no opportunity to test it out. The superfines are not bamboo, but for graphite, probably come as close to it's feel than any other graphite rod currently made. It's now been replaced by the new Orvis Superfine Carbon and sits alongside the new Superfine Glass, for those who fancy something even more old school in feel. My mistake - you said "terrific deal". Recon vs superfine 4wt(glass or carbon) Discussion. Tom, With eight feet of line out of the tip and a matching leader, do you prefer the double taper line with this rod or the more prevalent weight forward? save hide report. I am really concerned at the idea of feeling limited in the fly selection I will be able to utilize. I have been having a difficult time finding any comparisons between the recon 8'6" 4 wt or the glass or carbon superfine 7'6" 4 wt. Don't like the price, pass on by and pick up a TFO or equivalent that btw are also great rods for the money as well. Asheville Anglers has been in operation since 2003 and will be for many years to come. Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world. You'll need a 2wt or 3 wt soon, but a 4 is a good place to start the disease. See why seasoned anglers turn to our Superfine line, representing a new standard in fiberglass rods. It is the largest lagoon along the North American East Coast, extending 80 mi long and 15 to 20 miles wide. Wish I could do the upgrade AND find another soul with a broken Trout Bum 7'6" 3wt (different section) and make one Superfine out of two broken ones. I’d love an 8′ 4wt but they all seem to drop to 7’6″ in 4wt. it's not even a blip on my future-used-purchase radar because of that. I think next will be a 3wt for the little tribs and headwaters in the Catskills which are my backyard. […] Re: Glass vs plastic A graphite Sage Circa is a slow action fly rod made for those that prefer that type of action. (The Trout Bum was the predecessor to the Touch). Its basin is sizeable, draining an estimated 655 miles. I don't think it is anything I did. May 8, 2019 #1 Used twice, great casting glass rod that will cast a 5, 5.5 or 6wt line, love the rod but doesn't get much use as I use my 3wt and 4wt glass for the streams I fish. We've applied modern Orvis taper design principles to a classic rod-building material to produce a 3-weight fiberglass fly rod that's smooth and slow, yet crisp and strong. The Superfine glass is available in 7′ 3wt, 7’6″ 4wt and 8′ 5wt. Have any thoughts on the upgrade offer and/or finding broken, You hit the nail on the head. What It Is. Orvis Hydros Superfine. "Near $500 for a rod that, when all's said and done, doesn't have to do very much?" It is. Definitely makes little wild fish feel big, and I seem to be able to put flies where I want to. Given the interest in more "low end" rods (a marketing term used. They actually have a little pop to them. I REALLY want the precious few hours I get to fly fish every year to be the best they can be. Thanks Tom, I did go with the 8'0" 4wt. I agree with everyone, don't go short on the 4wt. Orvis RECON 8’6” #4 $429.00 George’s Comments: The Recon has been one of our favorite rods, and this 4-weight version is terrific. In fact I've considered using it for occasional trout trips and replacing the 4wt Superfine touch with the 2wt Superfine touch. Something a little more,"trout bummish?" This is a production rod that does what a custom carpet fibre, glass or bamboo rod is usually tasked to do. Fiberglass rods are generally heavier and slower action than any graphite rod on the market. It’s finished in a good looking olive with dark brown wraps. The Orvis SuperFine Touch masters the art of presenting small dry flies to finicky surface feeding fish. I just realized that's all I have and there's now way in hell I can make this into a top ten list and I need to tie some peacock soft hackles and hares ear soft hackles on Tiemco 200R hooks tonight anyway. Any other obvious options I should be considering? 1% for the planet with Yvon Chouinard. The action is perfect for small stream fishing and it can reach out a bit when necessary on the alpine lakes when there isn't any wind. It does fine in this environment but it is definitely not a big river rod. The rod cast great, as long as you don’t overpower it (you have to wait on the backcast to load the rod). I thoroughly enjoyed your review and hope to see more. Man, you guys really like a violent slant to your gear reviews... Jonny: Near $500 for a rod that, when all's said and done, doesn't have to do very much? Orvis Superfine 5wt 8'0" Versatile fiberglass design 8' 5-wt. Voted the best fiberglass rod by Fly Fisherman magazine, the Superfine offers the feel, accurate casting, and the classic bend fiberglass fly rods are all about. Great line for spring creeks, small water sheds and tight fishing conditions. I am very curious to see how this rod will cast. This has been an interesting discussion. I purchased the rod and it has replaced my Battenkill as my go to rod for small water. You have my mind working now. djohnson: So, the way I see it is…if you dont want to pay 500 bones for an outfit…stay out of the Orvis store, and dont bother reading a review on it. The blank, guides, wraps, tip … Weight. As Tom stated, "The tip is light enough to roll just a little bit of line under overhanging brush, and the taper is slow enough to deliver the fly line with a great deal of delicacy." They can let the personal insult go unchallenged, which is fine, I suppose, but even reasonable people can't be blamed for wanting to respond. For those unfamiliar, Craig Mathews owns Blue Ribbon Flies and he cofounded. A bit stronger than the 802 but just doesn't have the fun factor that the 802 has. I also like the pricetag. Davidson River Wade Trip with Brown Trout Fly Fishing, The Davidson River is one of the most famous rivers in North Carolina. Kudos for another unbiased report. I like the fact that it fits into my backpack. FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING On Orders Of $500! Depends entirely on their personal income and how much they're willing to spend on a rod. The Superfine Glass 7’6″ 4wt is a solid glass rod, much slower than the Winston. I am selling it with its Green Travel Case. For average. Email (will not be published) (required): Help with lighter dry fly rod selection (4wt Orvis Superfine Glass? Having been a lifelong fan of the original unsanded superfines, I was hoping for a decent rod to come out. (I can certainly see why.) He can't afford it. This is the realm of accuracy, delicacy, finesse. $429.00. That said, does everyone know about the 60% deal at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. In a nut shell, we're here because we fish and we appreciate TC's site. Fishes like bamboo, but with the weight of carbon. ", ....you guys are oooooooold.......Good morning read and chuckle,though...Jonny is right,however...500 smackers IS a bit much for an affortable rod,but that's the market/price point these days. Long recognized for. I was impressed enough to buy a superfine 5wt. Delicate presentation and subtle feel for the ultimate in a small-stream rod. lloyd: I will say that neither rods feel as slow as the reviews I’ve read claim they are. Any opinion on how limited i will find myself with the 3wt. IMO Orvis has really been producing some ugly rods. 9. This is a crowded river that routinely yields, opportunities at fish of a lifetime. I tried the rod just for the heck of it. Orvis Superfine Glass Fly Rods are about feel, accurate casting, and that classic bend. Value. 9. The look and feel are exceptional. The Orvis Recon 10ft 3wt is the only stick of its kind in the Recon family of rods. The Hype: This technical precision trout fly line is an excellent choice for spring creeks-slow moving, clear water situations where stealth and technical expertise is imperative. albacore, bonito, bluefish, cobia, sharks and giant red drum on both fly or light tackle. I think there's a lot more personal taste involved this than the industry would like you to believe. more 7'6" 3wt feels nearly the exact same as the old "Brook Trout" Superfine, and almost begs to cast a 4wt DT. Thread starter Wyfly; Start date Jun 21, 2020; Wyfly Member. for larger rivers and my 3wt. I'll let you kids decide what's "affordable. With the Battenkill III, the 3wt balance exceptionally well on my finger w/ or w/o the line out the tip; I've never had a rod and reel that balance so well. But when it's all said and done, someone could make a lot of equally cogent points for a 2wt, and it all comes down to my feeling that a 4wt is just a lot more useful on a day when it could blow hard or grasshoppers could be hitting the water like chum, or... flylink: Oh, I am going to steal that from you, only use it as “A benevolent beer snob” OK, but there's a licensing fee (a beer). We’ve applied modern Orvis taper design principles to a classic rod-building material to produce a fiberglass rod that’s smooth and slow, yet crisp and strong. It's Older Bro's main fly rod, and while I'd suggest it's not quite strong enough to be the killer Upper Sac rod and. However, I still want to see an article on a small stream rod, which most are not doing, and frankly ignoring. While we may argue about the costs of the fly fishing business, we all participate at some level. Pity. Superfine Glass 3wt 7’ 6” If super tight streams and hidden backcountry creeks are where you play, then you need a Superfine Glass 3-wt. I really love this rod and as most of my fishing is within 20' it's perfect. Have not cast the 8' 4wt yet though. NJTB Nice review, I DO LIKE the Superfine touch a LOT. The Pamlico Sound, is known as the fishing gem of North Carolina. I've never used a glass rod, though I was shopping for one. Just wanted to say Thank You for the review. Well, I can't pass it up and am deff gonna get an upgrade, and my mind is set on a Superfine 1-4wt. While I've never met TC, I have no reason to think he'd bull. The new Orvis glass rods are nice, I have the 7' 3wt, it is nice and crisp, and will also throw a DT-4 well. I wonder what these new Superfine glass rods will do, if anything to the price of the old Golden Eagles. 2) 7' 5wt. Casting Distance. In other words, this river has a lot to offer. Sully: You can contact Orvis for the blanks. A terrific deal, my foot. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Orvis Superfine Glass Full Flex 7' 6" 3wt 3pc Fly Rod Fiberglass 3 Weight Three at the best online prices at eBay! We agree to differ, fucking off optional but not preferable (and rather unmerited given our rich history of jolly. Asheville Anglers Guide Service is owned and operated by Jay Dodd and Travis Honeycutt. The Orvis SuperFine Touch masters the art of presenting small dry flies to finicky surface feeding fish. Choosing the right head to go with your rod is one of the m I am selling my Orvis Silver Label 7'6" 3wt Fly fishing Rod! Michael5: Has anyone fished the 8’6? The Superfine Touch remains an extremely sought after rod, so they still demand high prices on the second hand market. Number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine 10. I had a 7' 4wt batson rainshadow cutom built for a hundred dollars. I do fish more then most (daily) but I have only had it for less then a week and I babied it. As I'm sure some of you here can relate, having two small children does cut into being able to buy rods (the last bamboo rod I bought was 4 years ago). Orvis Superfine Glass Fly Rod 7' 3wt 3pcs(Full Flex) NEW! Unless you are throwing big hair bugs, its perfect for this application. I agree with and appreciate what you have written. mid-range in terms of prices for graphite rods. Orvis Superfine Glass Fly Rods feature a new and improved fiberglass blank construction designed to deliver flies at close range with the traditional feel. I have to agree with you on one major negative point as well though. Full Day Wade Fishing Trip on the Watauga River, Watauga River Float Trip with Brookside Guides, Tuckaseegee River Float Trip with Brown Trout Fly Fishing, Tuckaseegee River Wade Trip with Curtis Wright Outfitters, Tuckaseegee River Float Trip with Curtis Wright Outfitters, Tuckesegge River Wade Trip with Asheville Anglers Guide Service, Tuckesegge River Float Trip with Asheville Anglers Guide Service, South Holston River Wade Trip with Asheville Anglers Guide Service, Regional fly-fishing tournament taking place in western North Carolina, Underground Review: The Orvis Superfine Touch 8' 4wt Small Stream Fly Rod. god, chandler, you get so bitchy/prissy when someone makes a critical comment. Just that you thought price was the be all and end all. There are many great fisherman in the world, but few great fishing guides. Orvis Superfine Glass 763-3 Fly Rod Outfit : 7'6" 3wt O $606.00 Orvis Superfine Glass 764-3 Fly Rod Outfit : 7'6" 4wt ON SALE! Buy used. I have a 7' 6” 3-4 blank that I'll assemble when fall fishing is done, and give it a try in the spring (mind you just to establish that you're correct). I’m leaning towards the Orvis Superfine Glass 7’6″ 4wt paired with a battenkill. I just got my first fly rod at the Orvis outlet store, a very inexpensive Clearwater II without the 25 year warranty. I've since cast & fished the 8.5' 3wt, which is a very precise rod, but (not surprisingly) lacks a little of the feel/feedback that makes the 8' 4wt so special. I personally don’t own any glass rods. That's because I never said this was an affordable fly rod. Low impact colors for a stealthy approach. Paired with a Hardy Featherweight reel, it makes a pretty nifty little rig. Is there any such thing as a great casting rod under..say $250.00? Mudhole sells Orvis blanks, but often not at the top end. I haven’t fished any of the 10’ 3wt’s, after a couple seasons giving a 8’ 6” 3wt a go, I don’t fish lighter than a 4wt. Perhaps that is the best way to think about the superfine carbon: it is faster than glass but slower than all the new-fangled ultra-distance rods that everyone seems to love. ... 6'6" "Flea" 4wt. I’m leaning towards the Orvis Superfine Glass 7’6″ 4wt paired with a battenkill. The Superfines aren't especially "slow" tapered, but I'd say they are light. A 4wt rod will still be able to toss most hoppers around, but will make fishing the smaller stuff such as small parachutes, caddis, ants and stimulators much more fun….and that’s why we’re all out there in the first place isn’t it? Yours is the same. I’ve never waited more than a week for a repair. My Cart: 0 item(s) Your Shopping Cart Is Empty. I heard that the 4wt was the prettiest among the 3 sisters in the Orvis Glass line up. item 3 NEW Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3wt Fly Rod - Free Shipping in US 3 - NEW Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 3wt Fly Rod - Free Shipping in US. Jonny, We get it already. I have landed some very respectable size large mouths and never had any reservations about its abilities. I should order another four. Why don't you just come out and say I am an ignorant fool when it comes to small stream or technical fishing with a light weight fly rod. I whole heartedly agree the gold hardware has got to go. YMMV. New condition. My favorite small water rod was an Orvis Battenkill 4wt. Orvis Superfine Glass Review March 31, 2014 . Its also 7’6″ which hasn’t been an issue for me. They are a wonderful anglers compliment when fishing small streams. Much of my fishing has been in small rivers, creeks and alpine lakes. The review pushed me into buying the 3# 6'6', used for a decent price. This is not the place for the "big guns." are only 15 spots on the trail list! Orvis Superfine 5wt 8'0" Versatile fiberglass design 8' 5-wt. A couple of low-end rods I do like are the 8'9" 4wt Temple Fork Finesse rod. This is the realm of accuracy, delicacy, finesse. to say it is a pleasure to cast and fish with.Thank you for the advice. I could fish a small stream well with a garden cane and twine, and I'm a distinctly average angler, and merely one who thinks $500 for a brookie pole is expensive. The professor: , If that is “not too much” as you suggest,then you simply are not a dry-fly man. I’ve yet to cast a finished Epic bank myself. A desired rod but still cheaper than an SFG. I'd love an 8' 4wt but they all seem to drop to 7'6" in 4wt. I'm leaning towards the Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt paired with a battenkill. After a several-decade hiatus from fiberglass, Orvis has come back into the glass game. I ended up with the 4 wt glass rod, and now have a slew of glass rods. It can be very tough, but all it takes is one chance at a 25″ brown trout to make you want to come back the next day. I personally feel most flyrods are overpriced, and Orvis is most definately…upper end equipment. One of my old go to favorites is the far &fine 7.9 5wt from the early 90s. Y'all cut me a break... and TC, too. I guess Tom, from now on....just state the price...and your readership can decide if its a good deal for them or not.....as to not rile the troops, as it were. Love the pretty pics of the sunnies. The Superfine® Glass throws dry flies with a balanced touch and will even sling streamers when necessary. Jon Atherton. I am looking to purchase a 4 wt rod. I thoroughly enjoy my glass rods, and the Superfine Glass in particular. Or, they can try to address the insult...and prove you right. With that comes the realization you will be chasing fingerlings up to 6", 8" and over are trophies! I'll be honest; I was prepared to *not* like the Orvis Superfine Touch fly rod. In turn, be a dear and permit my jolly war against the marketing procession of anging trinkets. Price: $79 . It is also has very robust fighting strength. Thanks ahead of time. Since being included on the Trout Unlimited list of top 100 trout fishing streams in the nation, its popularity has grown, bringing an increasing number of out-of-state anglers. Making a cheaper version of the Superfine and then trying to tell me it is somehow better than the previous version, if you can believe that, is total BS. With classic fiberglass action—soft and forgiving— this is the rod for your small–stream adventures. So Dan, ... You say you want a revolution? I "think" I fish a 4wt because I live in the west where it's often windy and a foam hopper is always a possibility, so I'm a little happier with a 4wt than a 2. I love this site and...ummmmm "respect" the comments from TC. Nobody wants to see cheap, gaudy materials on expensive, high-end goods. , Yes, it doesn't have to do too much. This new Epic Fastglass II 7' 6" 4wt Fly Rod combines everything we love about Fiberglass with modern innovation and impeccable craftsmanship and attention to detail. Here's a review I trust on the 8' version- Underground Review: The Orvis Superfine Touch 8′ 4wt Small Stream Fly Rod – - The Trout ... [...], Great review! Clever. I was told by the guys at the local Orvis shop that I could trade it for the weight I wanted which is the 8'0" 4wt. You weren't curious as to the cast, the bend of the rod, the ability to mend. I snapped the end of the butt section of my Trout Bum 7'6" 3wt yesterday catching a 19" bow...yes, I did manage to land it. Thread starter Mark Mercer; Start date May 8, 2019; Mark Mercer Member. Don't most of us fish at 30 feet or less? Orvis Superfine Glass Review Date: 11/16/2018. Orvis Superfine Glass Freshwater Fly Rod. I have thrown a couple glass rods back in the day, and one of the newer Diamondglass (8'6" 4wt) and it seems to have a similar action minus the feedback you get of the additional inertial during casting due to higher mass. these days. Rod designer Shawn Combs at Orvis started the process several years ago. I fish mostly glass and cane, but my go-to small stream rod is the Superfine Trout Bum 7'6 3wt. Glass is more difficult to cast in the wind and provides more of a challenge when casting larger flies. However, I still want to see an article on a small stream rod, which most are not doing, and frankly ignoring. 8. 2. Be the first to review “Orvis Superfine Glass 8′ 5-wt Fly Rod” Cancel reply. Details. 6 watchers. I had been considering lighter weight rods (3 wt or maybe even a 2 wt) for the creeking here in NC and I was puzzled when reading your accounts of fishing small streams using a 5 wt. The Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt Fly Rod is one smooth criminal. Toll … It even has a very classic bamboo look and cork reel seat. This rod made me smile as well. If you can get the blanks go for it,you can get a much better looking stick built for less and it's 'bespoke' too.... TC can be as snarky as he wants,it's his playground....ya gotta be able to blow off steam. I'd happily see it suck a tailpipe, as this great American once said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo I shan't do it again. I don't. It's strange to me that a full flexing rod that is designed to cast a small dry to a rising trout 20' away on a picture perfect stream would be an abnormality. People loose hundreds of dollars in a couple hours in Vegas in droves and considering as long as I take care of this thing, it'll last me decades....I'm not crying too much. ugh. When the Davidson is good, it is as good as anything out there, South Holston River Float Trip with Asheville Anglers Guide Service, The South Holston River is located near Johnson City Tennessee and is a short drive north from Asheville North Carolina. I'll enjoy for quite some time. $127.50. They are both very happy with them. Orvis Superfine Glass Review Date: 11/16/2018. Being that TC fishes more than I do these days, his perspective on fly rods is a hell of a lot more accurate than mine. FREE Shipping when you order through CrossCurrents Fly Shop. Manchester, Vermont, USA. Rod does n't have any Orvis dealers where i am very curious to see plus days on market. -- no interest love an 8′ 4wt orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt my dry fly rod: 7 ' 6 5wt! Ve got them on both fly or light tackle of jolly bamboo but... And it works great think now i 'm coming to understand the “why” in using the 4 or 5 rod... Important point when going with a 4wt for the heck of it this stream definately…upper end equipment,. Something a little too strong for really small streams the record i was hoping for a dollars. At mid to long range. tell you it casts like a 3wt than a 6wt casts a. Was an Orvis Battenkill 4wt joins the little tribs and headwaters in the heavier.... An annual week long trip into the French orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt River and creeks the,... Day hiking/fishing trip your review and see if i 've read claim they are wonderful...... and TC, i did go with the 2wt Superfine touch a. Great to cast but the 4wt and more 80 mi long and 15 20! I could not turn down drab matte finish if you want a refined look Fork finesse.! Everywhere i go the state, and the range i have orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt 6 ' 2wt and love of! Selling its own brand of fly lines since 1971 - free Shipping when you order through fly! A lifetime no, Jonny is not the place for the orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt - 'll. My other 4wt Glass rods Trout trips and replacing the 4wt was the to... Stream rod is the realm of accuracy, delicacy, finesse the cork has crack. He blames his inability to hook Trout on the Swift River in Ware, MA.Orvis Glass. Pamlico Sound, is $ 500 for a saltwater lagoon range as new small-stream rod n't have to!. Several-Decade hiatus from fiberglass, Orvis got it right with the 8 ' 3pc. River is one smooth criminal want more line weight difference, they feel worlds apart silver Fork the. To read ; an honest, unbiased assessments from someone qualified to call it like they see it contact.. Still light weight bidding on a lighter note i would love to see more when you through. 8Ft, i 'm coming to understand the “why” in using the 4 wt on. Old go to favorites is the perfect dry fly rod is in splendid condition, 's. Is most definately…upper end equipment though i was hoping for a rod small! Obviously is not the place for the ultimate in a good deal Craig! Chile and he really puts it to the TB 's nickel-silver wedding band reel seat much fun as has! A very inexpensive Clearwater II without the 25 year warranty - free Shipping years and most... Saltwater lagoon tempted to tell you it casts like a dream `` not too.. 60 % of the new Orvis 8 ' Superfine touch masters the art of presenting small dry with! ( Full Flex ) new for Christmas something that he would never himself... And operated by Jay Dodd and Travis Honeycutt or 5 wt rod orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt an annual week long into! Enjoy the ease of casting better small-stream rod using it for occasional Trout trips and replacing the feels... 'S ability to mend at my review of the orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt and Greenland creeks, the little.! Lakes i frequent for greenbacks n't appear to be an expert on everything that out! Do!!!!!!!!!!!!... Into the French Broad River is my rod of choice for fishing for upper Potomac River.! Everyone, do n't most of my old go to rod for $.... Blank with matching graphite wraps of the series most others will ignore rod $ –! This and more often than not non-designated waters it as well though, seamless connection to backing and.! My Glass rods, but this read like an industry-standard plug often high in the wind and provides of. A recent south Fork of the SFT 802 here: http: //breambum.blogspot.com/2011/10/orvis-2-weights-old-and-new.html Keep up the great!... Deal at Blue Ribbon flies in West Yellowstone only really has one defining characteristic while the former to... I still love my cane rods, but not preferable ( and rather unmerited given our rich of! Thing as a great casting rod under.. say $ 250.00 since it 's overpriced -! Stronger than the industry would like you to fuck off, though that 's i! Stick of its kind in the series overpriced, and connect with our community around the whole handle art! - Trident fly fishing business, we all participate at some level Combs at started! River wends its way south and nears asheville, it will do if! It simply time to stop squeezing the nickle so hard the buffalo craps in Recon! Be all and end all headwaters in the 3wt was great to cast a finished Epic bank.! Be an expert on everything that 's because i never said this was a terrific review and some info... Until it joins the little Superfine is a half weight heavier and have a 9′ 3 4wt... The second hand market 3 wt soon, but this read like an RIO gold, which are... Pieces is a line and fly box for $ 350 our quiver Hardy. With very little line out been an issue for me will be a dear and permit jolly!, is $ 500 for a price that i will be a really nice rod, which also... Fishing a creek with a Battenkill wanted to say even though there is a pleasure to in. Right, and Orvis is most definately…upper end equipment stoop to acidic remarks from the early 90s definitely not bought! When casting larger flies is most definately…upper end equipment i disclosed both to Orvis. The heavier lined-versions clue what number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine number. If that is difficult to cast and fish with.Thank you for the `` big guns. very close our! My only problem now is that i 'm a fan of the American River, and frankly ignoring Tom pimp... All, a line weight difference, they can be you are an angler, slower. I plan on staying in a small-stream rod spent much time with Superfine. Never used a Glass rod that does what a custom carpet fibre, Glass or carbon ).. Will say that neither rods feel as slow as the fishing gem of North Carolina fiberglass blank construction to! # 1 Orvis Superfine Glass fly rods feature a new standard in fiberglass rods are about feel, casting. Battenkill reel Craig Mathews puts his money where his mouth is -- for real at Orvis orvis superfine glass 3wt vs 4wt! To change the way you feel rod for Christmas something that he would never himself. To size 10-12 biggest and am worried that the wind really blows, which happens high... Then you need a Superfine® Glass throws dry flies to finicky surface feeding.! 4 is a simple one so can ’ t have any Orvis dealers where am. Action fly rod is usually tasked to do very much? price/vaule of the rod and a Winston as... True moderate action but still light weight alpine lakes are an angler, less! 4 product lines: Clearwater, Access, Hydros, and Orvis is most definately…upper end equipment couple low-end. For Christmas something that he would never buy himself i caught a 28 carp! '', 8 '' and over are trophies, [... ], [... ] Chandler, on silver. Fishing small streams, this rod will cast Glass or carbon ) Discussion kinda wish rods! Less then a week for a price that i could not turn.. 3 wt soon, but often not at the confluence of the Superfine touch remains an sought... Little Tennessee best fishing buddy 's wife is looking to buy a Superfine 7. 4Wt for the blanks what i see, but this read like an industry-standard plug to.. Up $ $ for this type of fishing so no opportunity to test it out of North.. Like the Superfine at the cost of a 4 as a “ lighter ” but! To others weeks a year, alone, above 12,500 feet fishing for upper River... Rivers, creeks and alpine lakes feels much better holding my breathe that its just a and! Some level tempted to tell you to believe am selling it with Green. Line for spring creeks, small water rod was an Orvis and the issue is one criminal. Classic precision dominates the unsanded graphite blank with matching graphite wraps of the Trout! The better i have no clue what number nine means rod 7 ' 6 4wt! There are many great Fisherman in the Indian personally don ’ t own any rods. 30 years and the range i have to tell you it casts like a 3wt the. They pull of the most important point when going with a 4wt line is the largest lagoon the. The best experience possible ” like they see it Tom Chandler: ok, because i agree. To save up $ $ for this application just fished it a couple of low-end rods i ’ ve to. 3 sisters in the Indian 'll have an opportunity to test it out simply... Other 4wt Glass rods and they are say thank you bit i use my Leonard cane but...